Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Foul Mouthed Christianity - Is Cussing OK

(Image from Pyromaniacs Check out the rest)
I have been dialoging with some interesting so called Christians who have a very twisted view of scripture and what it means to be a Christian. They write and say that they feel it is perfectly fine to use foul and degrading language. Most of these gentleman are part of the emergent church and claim to be living their lives like Christ commanded. But instead of their "cool" worldliness they are going directly against the Word of God. I would like to address the topic of our language and how we speak and what we speak represents to the world who Christ is in us. Is it ok for a Christian to walk around using 4 letter words, is that being a good ambassador of Christ?

I have read through the Bible several times and I have never found a scripture that promotes the use of vulgar language. On the contrary I find scripture after scripture that condemns this type of language. If I want to be an effective ambassador of Christ am I going to be separate from the world or am I going to embrace it and be part of it and do the things of the world? As Christians should we try and be above reproach so that no one has anything against us? Or do we follow after culture and "try" to be "cool" or "hip"?

I remember shortly after repenting and turning from my ways to Christ ways was to stop my bad habit of cursing. I was just like the world using it all the time but the Holy Spirit started to convict me of my language and I left cussing behind. What is interesting is that I hadn't even read the bible passages below that talk about being foul mouthed. It just happened and I knew it was not how God wanted me to be talking any longer.

Now before I go on any further I want to make sure that if you struggle with this problem you are not "condenmed" by it. I have friends who are Christians who slip but then apologize for their language. We all are sinners who need a Savior and this may be something that you are dealing with. However, there is a big difference about trying to work on a sin and having the attitude it is just the way I am so deal with it. If your heart is in this kind of condition then you might want to really examine what it means to be a follower of Christ. What does it mean to you when Christ says if you love Me you will obey my commandments? This applies to any sin that is in your life. Me included, trust me I have a million things to work on about my heart. But I know one thing. I desire not to sin. I desire to hide God's word in my heart so I might not sin against Him. Psalm 119:11.

Let us take a look at what God says about our language.

Basic instruction on what should come out of our mouths. (2 Timothy 2:16) But avoid worldly {and} empty chatter, for it will lead to further ungodliness,

(Colossians 3:8) But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, {and} abusive speech from your mouth.

(1 Corinthians 15:33) Do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals."

(Ephesians 4:29) Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need {of the moment,} so that it will give grace to those who hear.

(Ephesians 5:4) and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

Do we glorify God in using curse words or foul language?(Matthew 5:16) "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

How do we represent Christ setting ourselves apart from the worlds standard. (Titus 2:7-8) in all things show yourself to be an example of good deeds, with purity in doctrine, dignified, sound in speech which is beyond reproach, so that the opponent will be put to shame, having nothing bad to say about us.

Here is the worst thing we can do is misrepresent Christ with offensive language. How can we be holy if we don't follow what Jesus commanded?(Colossians 4:6) Let your speech always be with grace, {as though} seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.

(James 1:26) If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his {own} heart, this man's religion is worthless.

(Matthew 15:11) "{It is} not what enters into the mouth {that} defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."

(1 Corinthians 10: 31) Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

How do unbelievers know us, by our fruits?(Matthew 7:16-18) "You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn {bushes} nor figs from thistles, are they? "So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.

We are known by our fruits. As Christains we should not be known by fruits of foul speech.
All glory, all praise, all worship, all honor goes to the King of kings and Lord of lords, Jesus Christ, my Savior.

Wes
Galatians 2:20


No comments: