Thursday, March 1, 2007

Job Did Not Sin With His Lips

In my daily reading I have started in the book of Job. In the first chapter Job’s characteristics are exemplified in many ways. Job 1:1 starts off with; ...Job was blameless and upright, and one who feared God and shunned evil. He is then described by God exactly the same way in Job 1:8 and further states there is none like him on the earth.

How many of us are described by God in that fashion today? I know that I have not been blameless and upright and shunned evil all my days. But we should be striving for that kind of lifestyle which is pleasing to the Lord. Job is able to persevere in his HUGE trials and tribulations because he realizes God is in complete control. Something for us to remember.

How about this quote from him after everything has been taken away, all his wealth, his children, his assets, he has nothing left: Job 1:21 And he said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked shall I return there. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord.”

He is giving thanks to the Lord. In my pathetic little problems I have, do I thank the Lord for my trials and tribulations? I have to imagine James had Job in mind when he said in James 1:2-4 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing

In chapter 2 it gets worse. God allows Job to be afflicted with a nasty disease that causes boils and who knows what else. Then his wife tells him to curse God and die. How does Job respond? In the end of Job 2:10 it says in all this Job did not sin with his lips.

Man I have a long way to go. Thank you Jesus for Your word which provides Your will for our lives. I am not worthy. Give us wisdom on how to rely completely in You.

Wes
Galatians 2:20


No comments: